The long wait once the level crossing is closed is due to a 40 km/h speed restriction 2.7 km before (Km 522.9, the level crossing being at 520.2) :
the train is slowly accelerating from there, because of the 1 in 100 gradient and its heavy load (14 coaches), and hasn't reached
its permitted speed (110 km/h) yet... One may also note the wifi antennas on the roof of most coaches (all were equipped at the end of 2019).
Youtube link : RD RAIL FRANCE VIDEO 001
The speed of the train is approximately 40 km/h, and remains stable because of the speed restriction mentioned above : a bit more than
1900 kW at the rail head are needed in order to hold that speed with a load of 1,800 tons in a 1 in 100 gradient, and that comes very close
to this locomotive's maximum capability. So, speed will only increase after the summit, one km further along.
Youtube link : RD RAIL FRANCE VIDEO 002
Arrival at the terminal (ctd). Unlike in Avignon, there are no gantry cranes here, only reach stackers.
Youtube link : RD RAIL FRANCE VIDEO 018
FROM JULY 1, 2021 ONWARDS, VIDEOS "FRANCE" ARE NO LONGER DIRCTLY ACCESSIBLE HERE, JUST LISTED BELOW. THEY CAN BE VIEWED
DIRECTLY ON youtube.com BY USING THE "RD RAIL FRANCE 2021" (LATER 2022 ETC...) SEARCH KEY, THIS WILL THEN LIST ALL VIDEOS AVAILABLE
FOR A GIVEN YEAR. ONE MAY ALSO INCORPORATE A FULL DATE HERE, FOR INSTANCE "RD RAIL FRANCE 2021 08 04" FOR THE FIRST VIDEO OF 2021.
AVAILABLE ON LINE TODAY (August 22, 2021), WITH EXPLANATORY TEXT :
RD RAIL FRANCE 2021 08 04 17h51 Gignac C 817904 St Jory Limoges Puy Imbert 75097+75092+22w
RD RAIL FRANCE 2021 07 29 19h53 Gignac C 424277 Limoges St Jory VFLI retard69mn 28s
RD RAIL FRANCE 2021 08 10 Ligne 912000 PK 057 TTX Eiffage vers Die 3locs+17w+1loc 2021 08 10 G1206+DE18+DE18+17w+G1206
This train begins to move just after a GYSEV IC train bound for Budapest-Keleti has passed. The little music piece
that can be heard at the beginnng is typical of Class 182 DB / 1116 ÖBB Taurus locomotives. One may note how fast the train reaches 60 km/h.
No big surprise though, with a dry rail, a slight descent and 7000 kW avaiable (continuous rating 6400 kW)... even with a BoBo loco's
limited adhesion. Productivity : this train is not very long (552 m), but 100 % loaded.
Youtube link : RD RAIL EUROPE VIDEO 001
GERMANY 2021 : 68 VIDEOS ONLINE SINCE August 5, 2021, FOLLOWING A SHORT VISIT THERE (JULY 14-19).
THESE ARE DIRECTLY ACCESSIBLE ON www.youtube.com WITH THE "RD RAIL D 2021" SEARCH KEY. ONE MAY ALSO
INCORPORATE THE NUMBER OF A GIVEN VIDEO IN THE SEARCH KEY, FOR INSTANCE "RD RAIL D 2021 51" FOR THE FIRST ONE ON FREIGHT.
The ones numbered 01-22 are about passenger trains or (nr. 11 only) signalling, 51-96 are about freight.
Here are a few suggestions for the most significant videos, depending on what topics you are most interested in
(reached by directly entering their number after the search key above followed by a blank space) :
(on passenger trains or signalling :)
- an acceleration that is impossible to witness in France... outside RATP territory : 06 or 11 or 18 (nr. 16 show braking)
- how an ICE entrs Frankfurt main station (about twice as fast as a TGV in Paris, except at Paris Nord) : 13 and 14
- how an ICE departs from Frankfurt main station : 12
- how signals work in Germany : 11
(on freight trains :)
- a Stadler Eurodual locomotive from a polish operator, seen in Bavaria with a 739 m-long train, close to the 740 m limit : 89
- for lovers of "big-diesels-with-400kN-or-more-tractive-effort », a VOITH MAXIMA 30 CoCo locomotive, hauling a track maintenance train : 91
- a pretty full train reception yard (with no less than 5 trains moving about almost simultaneously...) : 59
- trains with a load of more than 3,000 tons : 73 and 82
- well loaded intermodal trains : in many videos... including nr. 89 already mentioned
Videos with most explanatory text, or talking about a major subject, are the following : 11 14 51 59 64 77 80 92
(3) CANADA 2019 (CP trains in red, CN trains in blue, others in black)
For more comments on these 18 canadian videos, see photographic report #63